Pages

August 5, 2012

Who Doesn't Like Braids?

I've seen this braided bead necklace on tons of Pinterest boards!
Of course, I had to make it!

The DIY Inspiration
The most time consuming aspect of this necklace was stringing 6 strands of beads (2 for each piece of the braid).

Supplies:
- a lot of 1 bead type
- string
- 6 crimping clasps (also called bead tips?)
- 2 jump rings
- chain
- closing clasp
-pliers

For photo instructions, check out this image.

I went to ACMoore and bought a pack of reddish coral beads for this.  I cut 6 pieces of string, and tied them 2, 2, and 2 (so three strands).  Once I beaded to the desired length, I closed the knots of each 3 strands to separate crimping clasps, on each side (so 6 clasps total). Close the crimping clasps.  Then, braid!!
Once the beads are neatly braided, I combined the 3 closing clasps on the left onto one jump ring, and the 3 clasps on the right onto a second jump ring.
Then, attach the chain to the jump rings on each side.  Open the chain at the top to put on a closing clasp.  All done!


I made a second one in white with gold chain for my mom.  But, it looked great on my sister, so we gave it to her!




No comments:

Post a Comment